Saturday, May 07, 2005

How simple the life could be?

For past few months I was feeling the good factor of shining India. Then I visited my home town and realized it's just that a part of India is growing and glowing and rest is all the same.

The lady(~19 yrs old) comes to help my mom at home and she goes to many *very well educated* houses in the colony. She knows how to operate all the funky electronic gadgets. She even came with cell phone once and was busy talking on to her husband when my mother wanted her desperately.

By chance I happen to ask her "what's the day today". She responded "What day"? I said "which day, as to which ‘var’(in Hindi)”. She says "What is var"? I told her like Sunday(ravivar), Monday(somvar)... She nicely responds "what's this. I don't know”. That raised my curiosity and I thought she was pretending not knowing it but that wasn’t true. She simply had not heard of anything like this. I asked her about the dates. All that she knew was a count till 5 plus a few more numerals. I asked how she knows when to take the salary. She said she just knew that.

It was and it is just unbelievable to me and I insisted her to tell me how she counts the days. She simply had nothing to tell. The reality was she knew today, tomorrow, day after tomorrow... yesterday etc... but that’s where it ends for her. She never realized the need for anything more :-)

I wonder is the life really this simple? In the 21st century of glowing India can I really believe this? I really don’t know...

 Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home